Thursday, February 17, 2011

Security tightened on election day

Adequate security personnel will be deployed countrywide today to ensure all voters are safe, according to the Inspector General of Police.

Maj. Gen. Kale Kayihura stated: “We shall continue to deploy security forces to ensure that you go to the vote and return to your normal businesses safely. Nobody should intimidate you.”
The maj. Gen also warned people who may be planning mischiefs on the elections day. He added that the country has enough capacity to provide security

Kayihura warned politicians recruiting men commonly known as kanyamas to “protect” votes at polling stations.

“We shall not hesitate to arrest any individual or group of individuals, who will attempt to interfere with the elections or who will attempt to cause disorder at the polling stations,” he said in a statement issued at the Electoral Commission office in Kampala.

He said vigilante groups were unnecessary because there is enough security. In any case, he said, such people should be at least 20 meters from the polling desk.

Kayihura also said an unidentified politician from western Uganda had been cautioned over recruiting kanyamas near the Old Taxi Park in Kampala.

He issued two hotlines, 0800199966 and 0800199699, for voters to report any intimidation. The force, he warned, would use technology to trace the culprits.

On the involvement of the army, Kayihura said securing the country was the role of various agencies.

“National security is a collective matter. We have been planning jointly with the army. If the situation warrants, the army will come in,” he said.

Earlier, EC chairman Eng. Badru Kiggundu had stated: “If my brother (Kayihura) says I am in trouble, I will not hesitate to call for extra security.”
Kayihura said Uganda’s borders would remain open.

He also disclosed that weapons suspected to have been procured for use after the elections were seized in Nebbi district.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Schools close for general elections

FRIDAY February 18 will be a public holiday to enable Ugandans elect their leaders, information and national guidance minister Kabakumba Matsiko has said.

Today, secondary schools break off for holidays, ahead of the polls. The education ministry last week said the short holiday was to allow students who registered at polling centres in their home area to leave school on February 16 and return on February 21.

If some or all students in a particular school registered at its campus, head teachers should, according to the Government, declare February 17 to 20, a half term holiday.

Senior One students are expected to report to school on Monday next week, and those of Senior Five on Friday February 21.

Francis Lubanga, the permanent secretary of the Ministry of Education, said they extended the Senior Five start day to allow students vote for district leaders.

BESIGYE WINDS HIS CAMPAINGS IN WESTERN




THE Inter-Party Cooperation (IPC) presidential candidate, Dr. Kizza Besigye, completed the western Uganda campaign tour with a big rally in his home district of Rukungiri on Monday.

Besigye told the ecstatic supporters that after traversing the 112 districts of Uganda, he was sure Ugandans were ready for change.

He, however, said he would return to campaign in Kampala.

Besigye, who referred to himself as “the President of Kampala”, said he was only going there to consolidate his support.

“Museveni does not have votes. It is not possible to have a re-run because we already exceeded the 50 percent,” Besigye said.

He said the NRM had resorted to propaganda by using the media to publish biased opinion polls.

Besigye urged his supporters to remain vigilant on polling day and look out for strangers who may want to vote at their polling stations.
After voting, stay at the polling station until the final tallying,” he said.

Besigye said the ruling NRM party planned to ferry voters to various polling stations to vote in favour of President Yoweri Museveni.

He insisted that the FDC party would count and tally its votes and announce its own results of the presidential poll.

“This is the time to redeem our country. Go and vote and guard your vote against thieves. They cannot physically assault you because the International Criminal Court is watching,” Besigye said.

Residents informed Besigye that they had seen military men in the district.

Besigye urged them not to be intimidated by the deployment. He told them that they were stronger than any weapons lined up against them.

“The army has a duty of protecting people and their property and not a mere individual. Don’t look at soldiers as your enemies. Greet them, give them water if they are thirsty but warn them against being used for selfish ends,” he said.

Besigye addressed several rallies in Nyakishenyi, Nyarushanje and Ruhinda, before heading to Rukungiri district stadium for a major rally.

MUSEVENI ASSURES ON SECURITY


PRESIDENT Yoweri Museveni has assured all Ugandans that there will be no violence before or after the elections, adding that the state is ready to protect everybody and their property as they go out to vote.

While appearing on a talk-show on Bukedde TV and radio yesterday, the President stressed that the Police and the army were alert and competent to deal with whoever tries to cause violence.

“Some people have been urging you (the public) to buy and store enough food in preparations for violence ahead of the elections. But I want to assure you that there will be no violence because the ‘drug’ we shall administer to those who will try to cause chaos shall be enough to calm them down,” the President asserted.

During the talk-show called Akabbinkano (the tough race) and hosted by Terah Kaaya, Museveni added: “Elections will end peacefully; no person can break the law and go scot-free. We shall arrest and prosecute whoever perpetuates violence.

Rabwon campaigns in Kabarole

E-mail article E-mail article Print article Print article
Mark Okwir Rabwoni (independent) greeting a former ADF fighter who lost his leg during the war. This was during a rally in Mugusu sub-county, Kabarole district last week

Mark Okwir Rabwoni (independent) greeting a former ADF fighter who lost his leg during the war. This was during a rally in Mugusu sub-county, Kabarole district last week

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

CITIZENS MANIFESTO KICKS OFF IN KYENJOJO


On Saturday 30th January, a multitude of citizens converged at Kyenjojo secondary school in Kyenjojo district, Western region for the Citizens Manifesto Launch. this was organized by IWDP and RAC and was aimed at sensitizing the public on their rights to vote for the political leaders who will serve the community interest rather than their own.
The rally was evidenced by many politicians such as FDC MP flag bearer Kyenjojo district, the Deputy mayor, Kyenjojo, among others
The rally ended up peacefully.Among the facilitators were; CEWIT coordinator, James Mwirima, the coordinator IWDP Mr. Rukidi Sam, CCEDU representative among others

CITIZENS MANIFESTO KICKS OFF IN KYENJOJO PHOTOS